05 December 2008

Say that I've Gone Away

When I got nothing to say, I will put Brazilian songs that I tried translating earlier on, okay?

Say that I've Gone Away [Diz que fui por aí (Zé Keti/Hortêncio Rocha)]

If they ask where I've gone today [se alguem perguntar por mim]
Say that I've gone away
And my friend my guitar
has come along

And no matter the way I go [Em qualquer esquina...]
And no matter the place I stay
I'll be out at the bar
I will be singing this song

If they ask if I'm coming back - then tell them: Yes, [Se quiserem saber...]
But not before I give my troubled heart some rest
No, not before I give my troubled heart some rest

I've got my guitar [Tenho meu violao]
I'm good when I try
I've got plenty of friends
I'm a popular guy
I've got the sunrise to bid me good morning

But sadness hits with a start [A saudade me doi]
And it claws at my heart
So I've gone to the slums
So I've gone to the shore
So I've gone away
But I'm still thinking of her

... and here's Nara Leão performing the original... hmm, apparently that video got taken down, so here it is in Fernanda Takai's rendition, instead...

1 comment:

Gregory Q. Public said...

Nice translation! I just saw a really cool version of this by Seu Jorge and Luis Melodia. I like how they take it in a completely different direction from the Nara/Fernanda Takai versions. check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIPEvBMzks